UW hoops – Three OT games in a span of 50 days

11 Feb

After watching Saturday’s five-overtime thriller between Notre Dame and Louisville, it brought back memories of my freshman year at the University of Washington.

The year was 1983.

In a span of 50 days the Huskies played in not one, but two triple-overtime games and between the two 55-minute contests – they went double overtime in another game!

UW won all three games.

Lets take a trip back 29 years and remember that magical 7 weeks of UW basketball.

Dec. 17, 1983 – Washington 83, at Idaho 69, 3OT

HarshmanThis was the first time in school history that UW played in a game that went longer than two extra periods. The Huskies scored 20 points in the third extra stanza to nab the victory in Moscow, Idaho.

Washington was led by the 19 points by 5-11 senior guard Alvin Vaughn, Detlef Schrempf and Reggie Rogers chipped in 16 points apiece and sub Gary Gardner netted 13. Schrempf controlled the glass, snaring 21 rebounds.

The Huskies found themself in trouble in the second OT as the Vandals scored the first four points. UW scored the final four – a 20-footer by Vaughn and free throws by Chris Welp and Tim Kuyper to force five more minutes.

Stan Arnold, a 6-foot guard, led Idaho with 20 points. His jumper with 20 seconds left tied the score and forced the first OT. With one second left in the first OT, he calmly sank both free throws to force five more minutes. Arnold fouled out late in the second OT after making all 10 of his free throws.

Tim Kuyper won the game for us,” said Coach Marv Harshman to the media. The reserve forward made a crucial free throw in extra time and two early baskets in the final OT to help the Huskies open up a 71-65 lead.

Tidbits: The crowd count was 3,500. Pete Prigge led Idaho with 17 rebounds while scoring 11 points. Shooing FG% UW .350, Idaho .345. Schrempf’s 21 rebounds were the most by a Husky since 1954 (Dean Parsons). Washington beat Idaho five days later at Hec Ed 68-66. UW scored 20 points in the first half and 20 points in a 5-minute overtime session. Idaho finished the 1983-84 season 4-10 (last) in Big Sky play and 9-19 overall.

Jan. 9, 1984 – Washington 63, Notre Dame 61, 2OT (Kingdome)

Notre Dame gameDetlef Schrempf connected on two free throws with 47 seconds left on the clock – the only two points in the second OT – to lift UW to the victory over the Digger Phelps led Fighting Irish in a game played at the Kingdome. It was the junior’s only two free throws attempted in the game. Schrempf was 5-12 three days earlier in a game against Wazzu.

One of the reasons for the game being played in downtown Seattle was that O’Dea HS grad Jo Jo Buchanan was playing for Notre Dame. Buchanan had a chance at the charity strip with 4 seconds left in the first overtime to give Notre Dame the lead as they trailed 61-60. He made the first, missed the second.

Paul Fortier knotted the game at 57 with two key free throws with eight seconds to play in regulation. Notre Dame’s Tim Kempton had made a layin but was called for pushing foul after the basket went it to give Fortier a one-and-one for the 6-9 forward.

7-foot freshman Chris Welp led the Purple and the Gold with 23 points and 12 rebounds.

Someone in the Seattle media asked UW coach Marv Harshman about playing in the Kingdome in March. That’s when the NCAA Final Four would be held. “We’ve been dreaming about that for three years,” Harshman told The Seattle Times. “It would be a miracle. We all know that. But miracles happen. I believe in this team. And they are beginning to believe in themselves.”

Tidbits: The crowd count was 7,466. Washington finished 5-11 at the free throw line, while the Irish were 17-30. Notre Dame finished the season 21-12. Later that year the Final Four was played at the Kingdome. Georgetown defeated Houston 84-75 in the championship game.

Feb. 4, 1984 – Washington 89, UCLA 81, 3OT

SchrempfA Saturday morning showdown – 11 a.m. start at Hec Edmundson – was a tussle for first place in the Pac-10 as both teams entered with just one conference loss.standings1984 The early start time was necessitated by CBS (TV) who was going to show the game to a national audience.

Detlef Schrempf, who played the entire game, scored a then career-high 27 points, freshman Chris Welp added 17 points and 17 rebounds. UW outscored UCLA 16-8 in the third overtime.

UCLA tied the game with 2:26 left in regulation at 62 with two free throws fom Kenny Fields. Washington held the ball (no shot clock) until Schrempf missed a short jumper from the baseline with six seconds left.

The second extra period ended with Welp’s turning jumper missed the mark. Paul Fortier had tied the game up earlier at 73-73 with a basket from the key.

Washington scored the first six points of the third overtime and never looked back.

Tidbits: The crowd count was 7,814. The Student Section was filled early as they rushed in at 10 a.m. – Each was handed a Husky Hanky for the big day. Kenny Fields led UCLA with 26 points before fouling out. A Schrempf slam dunk was the lead-in for SportsCenter that night. The Huskies finished the 1983-84 season with a 15-3 Pac-10 record and advanced to the NCAA Tournament. They won their first two games over Nevada-Reno and Duke before losing to Dayton in the Sweet 16. Photos from The Seattle Times. Find current information on the Washington Huskies at www.seattletimes.com.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: